By| Goodluck E.Adubazi, Abuja

The Federal Government has assured residents of Bille Community in Degema Local Government Area of Rivers State that it is taking decisive steps to address the persistent gas seepage affecting the area, while rolling out immediate humanitarian assistance to ease the plight of affected residents.
A high-powered delegation led by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Gas), Senator Ekperike Ekpo, visited the community on Wednesday, July 1, 2026, to assess the situation firsthand, deliver relief materials, and reassure residents of the government’s commitment to finding a lasting solution.
The delegation, which included the Commission Chief Executive of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), Mrs. Oritsemeyiwa Eyesan, alongside representatives of oil and gas operators, first paid a courtesy visit to Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, before proceeding to Bille.
Receiving the delegation, Governor Fubara commended the coordinated response by the Federal Government, the NUPRC, and industry stakeholders, assuring residents that their concerns would be treated as a matter of urgency.
“The Federal Government is doing everything possible to ensure that the gas seepage is brought under control. The requests for potable water, healthcare and firefighting support have been noted and will be addressed,” the governor said.
Governor Fubara also directed the immediate upgrade of the community’s primary healthcare facility to strengthen its capacity to respond to medical emergencies arising from the gas seepage.
At Bille, the Federal Government distributed relief materials and announced additional emergency interventions, including the provision of potable water, an expanded medical outreach programme, medical consumables, firefighting equipment, and support for improved power supply.
Addressing traditional rulers at the palace of the Amanyanabo of Bille Kingdom, HRM Ingo Herbert, Senator Ekpo said investigations into the source of the seepage were ongoing and pledged that the Federal Government would ensure the environment was fully restored.
“Investigation into the root cause is ongoing, and the Federal Government is fully committed to resolving the issue. We will ensure the environment is safe and properly remediated. We are with you on this,” the minister said.
Mrs. Eyesan reaffirmed the NUPRC’s commitment to conducting a comprehensive scientific investigation to determine the exact cause of the seepage while ensuring that emergency humanitarian support continues without interruption.
She disclosed that preliminary investigations had been completed, but explained that authorities were proceeding cautiously to prevent further environmental hazards before any major intervention.
“We have carried out preliminary investigations.
However, we are carefully managing the situation to prevent further hazards before any intervention. We have engaged an international firm to undertake the final studies, with fieldwork expected to commence before the end of July,” she said.
The NUPRC chief added that technical experts from across the oil and gas industry were working alongside the Commission to resolve the crisis and pledged to keep the community informed as investigations progressed.
Highlighting immediate priorities, Eyesan revealed that assessments indicated contamination of the first aquifer serving the community.
“Our assessment indicates that the first aquifer has been contaminated, and while we work towards a sustainable long-term solution, we will provide potable water as quickly as possible,” she said.
Speaking on behalf of the community, Chairman of the Bille Council of Chiefs, Alabo Okpokia Dokubo, welcomed the government’s intervention but urged authorities to ensure that all promises are fulfilled without delay.
He expressed hope that the gas seepage would be resolved quickly, allowing the community to fully benefit from its abundant oil and gas resources.

